[Buildroot] Compiling problem with NPTL threads on x86

Dominic Newton dominic.newton at in-2-technology.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 17:49:13 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm fairly new to buildroot and have run into a problem that I have
partially fixed - but I could use a few pointers.

I've built several systems using buildroot that run perfectly OK.
However I would like to use NPTL library rather than linuxthreads.

I've had the same problem with buildroot-2011.02 and .05 using the
recent rc2 and rc3 of uclibc0.9....

Compiling with NPTL throws up some errors involving 'pthread.h not
found/does not exist'. I've compiled a linuxthreads version OK.

A bit of digging has found that while linuxthreads puts pthread.h,
semaphore.h and bits/ptheadtypes.h into the include directories, when
configuring NPTL, they get forgotten. The uclibc libpthread/nptl has
semaphore.h and pthread.h, but no pthreadtypes. I symlinked them into
the the include directory in the output/toolchain/uclicbc... and the
output/host/usr.....sysroot directories and this seems to have cludged
it together (using pthreadtypes from linuxthreads).

So I think I'm on the right track. My question is where do I find the
script/makefile(s) that unpacks the uclibc archive, parses the buildroot
config and attempts to create the includes. I'd like to make sure the
appropriate files are copied over in as amny cases as possible.

Any help gratefull received, once properly sorted I'll feed it back in -
assuming I'm not doing something idiotic or a fix already exists.

--
Dominic Newton