[Buildroot] how to tune powerpc e500v2 cpus in BR

Matias Garcia mgarcia at rossvideo.com
Fri Jun 24 17:31:26 UTC 2011

Hi Raymond,

You can put those in the BR2_TARGET_OPTIMIZATIONS setting under the
Toolchain page e.g.

(-mcpu=8548 -mspe=yes -mabi=spe -mhard-float -mfloat-gprs=double)
Target Optimizations

I selected a generic powerpc target because I didn't need the -mtune
when I was specifying -mcpu already. As far as I know, 8548 and 8540
work out to the same code.

I switched to the external CodeSourcery build tools for two reasons: (1)
it allowed us to compile our application with -O3 (which we need) while
the standard GNU toolchain caused some errors, and (2) they're supported
by the Freescale/Mentor/CodeSourcery relationship, and not all of the
patches get applied to mainline (particularly for newer processors). I
had to add an option to the external wrapper so that it would call the
toolchain with '-te500v2' which is a shortcut for the optimizations you
list below. In that case, you can build your own applications without
calling any options explicitly.

Cheers,
Matias