[Buildroot] Patching kernel with a tarball containing multiple patches

Ludovic Desroches ludovic.desroches at atmel.com
Thu Mar 10 15:11:53 UTC 2011

Hello,

During the buildroot developer day on Friday 29th October, you have
talked about the ability to use tarball containing multiple patches.

I have seen that something was done to allow to use a space-separated
list of patches. It's a good thing since I could download one patch and
a second one. The problem is that the second one is a tarball containing
multiples patches. The tar.bz2 file was not a problem for
patch-kernel.sh but it simply uses a bunzip2 -cd command. Using this one
instead of extracting the archive into a folder introduces some troubles
since the order of the patches is not conserved.

It will be great to use this option as following :
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_PATCH="ftp://my_patches.tar.bz2 patches_to_apply"
Then we have all our patches for kernel 2.6.35 for example but if some
of them are integrated into next revisions as 2.6.35.2, we can skip
integrated patches by changing only the list.

What is your point of view about it? Do I miss something (maybe I can
already do that) ?

Regards

Ludovic Desroches