[Buildroot] Python: can't resolve symbol

bruce bushby bruce.bushby at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 21:51:01 UTC 2011

Quick update:

I re-installed Python on my "buildhost"...and then I did a "rpm -e --nodeps"
of the readline and readline-devel rpms, then in build root I did a "make
clean ; make"

That confirmed that buildroot is not "compile python readline" with the
hosts readline includes etc"...but I still get symbol errors.

So digging about a bit further I looked at the readline library on the
embedded OS:
[root at vx-200 ~]# ldd /usr/lib/libreadline.so.6.1
checking sub-depends for '/lib/libc.so.0'
        ld-uClibc.so.0 => /lib//ld-uClibc.so.0 (0x400cc000)
        libc.so.0 => /lib/libc.so.0 (0x00000000)
        /lib//ld-uClibc.so.0 => /lib//ld-uClibc.so.0 (0x00000000)
[root at vx-200 ~]#

I see it it uses both uclibc and libc.  That last line looks looks a bit
dodgy?

So I think I need to look into the readline package/compile....suspect it is
the reason for the symbol errors. Also, I can't "import readline" so the
symbol errors are more
then just informative.

Bruce

Session log starting a python interactive shell and importing readline:

[root at vx-200 ~]# python
Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Mar 21 2011, 18:11:40)
[GCC 4.5.2] on linux2

python: symbol 'BC': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'PC': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'UP': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tgetnum': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tgoto': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tgetflag': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tputs': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tgetent': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tgetstr': can't resolve symbol

>>> import readline

python: symbol 'BC': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'PC': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'UP': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tgetnum': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tgoto': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tgetflag': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tputs': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tgetent': can't resolve symbol

python: symbol 'tgetstr': can't resolve symbol
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: unknown dlopen() error