[Buildroot] problems compiling crosstools-ng

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Tue Mar 22 16:10:32 UTC 2011

Cris, All,

On Tuesday 22 March 2011 15:24:39 chris at basementcode.com wrote:
>  I'm not sure if this belongs in the crosstools mailing list, or the
>  buildroot mailing list, so sorry if this in the wrong place.

Basically, I'd say:
- if crosstool-NG works OK standalone, but fails in buildroot with the
  same options, then the issue is to be reported here, on the BR ML,
- but if crosstool-NG does not work standalone with the same config
  options, then please report to the crossgcc ML.

>  buildroot-2010.11:
>  m4 gives and error and says "--gnu" is not a valid option.
>  I have m4-1.4.15 installed, and the man page says that --gnu is valid.
>  Does buildroot have another copy of m4?

Do you mean the m4 built by buildroot as a package, or the m4 built by
crosstool-NG as part of the companion tools (which you should not use,
except under very exceptional conditions) ?

>  buildroot-2011.02:
>  during the configure stage of binutils the configure script spawns the
>  following process over and over until swap is filled and the system
>  crashes:
>  makeinfo --force --force --force --force --force --force --force
>  --force --force --force --force  ......

Yes, I know about this issue. You're not the first one to report it, but I
was not able to reproduce it, not to understand how it can happen (although
I have a small idea, but I'm not sure)

I'm doing some changes right now, that should fix the issue if all goes well.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.