[Buildroot] problems compiling crosstools-ng

Oleg Sadov sadov at linux-ink.ru
Tue Mar 22 17:26:56 UTC 2011

22/03/2011 17:10 +0100, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 March 2011 15:24:39 chris at basementcode.com wrote:
> >  buildroot-2011.02:
> >  during the configure stage of binutils the configure script spawns the
> >  following process over and over until swap is filled and the system
> >  crashes:
> >  makeinfo --force --force --force --force --force --force --force
> >  --force --force --force --force  ......
>
> Yes, I know about this issue. You're not the first one to report it, but I
> was not able to reproduce it, not to understand how it can happen (although
> I have a small idea, but I'm not sure)
>
> I'm doing some changes right now, that should fix the issue if all goes well.

I've got the same problem on my RHEL-based system. Seems like the root
of problem in search path for commands setted up by Croostool-NG
environment -- local script 'makeinfo' placed in path before the real
'makeinfo'. This script trying to execute 'makeinfo --force' command
and, voilà -- we got the infinite recursion!

Quck & dirty solution -- place the real path of makeinfo utility
(usually /usr/bin/makeinfo) in crosstool-NG.sh. Just put attached to
this mail patch in directory:

toolchain/toolchain-crosstool-ng

and rerun make -- hopefully your problem will be solved.

> Regards,
> Yann E. MORIN.

SY
--Oleg