[Buildroot] proc not mouning

Heyendal, Carl CHeyendal at stanleyworks.com
Wed Mar 23 19:02:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've done something bad to my Buildroot platform, but I can't figure out what the problem is.

When the initramfs system switches over to the root filesystem on an SD Card created by Buildroot,
it can't find /dev/null, and can't mount /proc.

When I login the /proc directory is not mounted, but I can manually mount it however from the command
line.

My inittab contains a statement to mount proc as well as another statement to do a 'mount -a'.
I verified that fstab contains an entry for proc. I know something is processing inittab because
the boot scripts that inittab calls do run.

I even added an entry in inittab to 'mknod' /dev/null.

I'm really stumped by this. I even did a clean rebuild without any luck.

Output below. Appreciate any help.

thanx
/carl h.

mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable.
mmc0: new SD card at address aaaa
mmcblk0: mmc0:aaaa SD02G 1.84 GiB
 mmcblk0: p1
EXT3-fs: barriers not enabled
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p1): using internal journal
EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p1): recovery complete
EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
Switching to filesystem on SD card....
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/mounts: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/mounts: No such file or directory
Populating /dev using udev: /etc/init.d/S10udev: line 82: can't create /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug: nonexistent directory
done
Starting portmap: done
Initializing random number generator... done.
Starting network...
ifup: interface lo already configured
ifup: interface eth0 already configured
Starting ProFTPD: warning: `proftpd' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use)
 - warning: unable to determine IP address of '_none_'
 - error: no valid servers configured
 - Fatal: error processing configuration file '/etc/proftpd.conf'
FAILED
Starting sshd: OK

Welcome to Buildroot
(none) login: