[Buildroot] Strange hang while executing commands

Martin Hicks mort at bork.org
Mon Mar 28 20:08:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Martin Hicks <mort at bork.org> wrote:

>>  Martin> Hi,
>>  Martin> Does anyone have any clues where I might start looking for the reason
>>  Martin> behind commands within the procps package just hanging?
>>
>> Hanging or crashing?
>
> Hang.

I finally got around to investigating this further.  If I enable the
"build packages with debugging symbols' the problem goes away :(

If I interrupt the processes with gdb and step, I see that it's
looping through the same function over and over, for some reason.  I
did try procps-3.2.8, to no avail.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
mh

(gdb) step
Single stepping until exit from function init_Linux_version,
which has no line number information.
0x0ffc9104 in _restgpr_30_x () from /lib/libproc-3.2.8.so
(gdb)
Single stepping until exit from function _restgpr_30_x,
which has no line number information.
0x0fe5f540 in vsscanf () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)
Single stepping until exit from function vsscanf,
which has no line number information.
0x0fe4d4b0 in sscanf () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)
Single stepping until exit from function sscanf,
which has no line number information.
0x0ffc8ba8 in init_Linux_version () from /lib/libproc-3.2.8.so
(gdb)

Martin Hicks P.Eng.      |         mort at bork.org
Bork Consulting Inc.     |   +1 (613) 266-2296