[Buildroot] [git commit] Allow several device tables and split in two parts our device table

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue May 17 08:55:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, 17 May 2011 10:43:28 +0200
Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at uclibc.org> wrote:

>  Thomas> But I don't know what we can do against this. Should we instead add an
>  Thomas> option to makedevs to instruct makedevs to skip entries in /dev ? This
>  Thomas> option could then be used for all dynamic /dev cases, and would work
>  Thomas> even if the device table contains entries for /dev ? Or should we keep
>  Thomas> it as it is ?
>
> Alternatively we can split it up and provide an option for the base
> device table (which will default to target/generic/device_table.txt) and
> add an option for static device nodes (which defaults to
> target/generic/device_table_dev.txt) and only make that option visible
> if static dev is used.
>
> The makefile can then concatenate those options and use them like it is
> done today.

Seems like a good idea. The first option shouldn't be named "device
table", but instead "permission table", and the file device_table.txt
could be renamed as well to permission_table.txt.

We should also preserve the fact that those two options can be lists,
so that one can keep the original permission table, and add some more
entries by specifying a second table.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons