[Buildroot] Some build failures to solve for volunteers

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon May 23 12:47:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011 14:42:12 +0200
Daniel Nyström <daniel.nystrom at timeterminal.se> wrote:

> > I have no experience with BuildBot, but as far I as could see,
> > BuildBot is oriented towards building the same software in the same
> > configuration over and over again, for continuous integration. From
> > what I could see, it assumes that it has a finite set of build
> > configurations, and run them all.
>
> There's no problem running Buildroot builds with Buildbot. I do
> actually have one running here locally for our local needs. :)

Sure running Buildroot builds with BuildBot is possible. What I'm
questionning is if running *random* builds with BuildBot does make
sense. I think BuildBot tracks whether a particular build configuration
was building at a time, then no longer building. This only makes sense
if the tested build configurations are identical over time.

> One could set "make randpackageconfig" as one step of the build
> process in the Factory, but that makes it hard to find patterns in the
> failing builds, hence my suggestion of one toolchain per slave and all
> options enabled. Maybe there's other advantages of random configs?

Well "make randpackageconfig" creates a completely random set of
package set and options. This allows to test an enormous number of
possible configurations.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons