[Buildroot] OT: Using oprofile

Will Wagner will_wagner at carallon.com
Wed Nov 2 19:35:51 UTC 2011

I know this is slightly off topic, but I assume some buildroot users
must be doing this...

I want to use oprofile on my target, which I have the basics working
(using buildroot master). However I am having two problems which I am
not sure how to work around:

- when trying to profile with vmlinux it fails saying objdump is not
installed (which it is not). It says I can pass in the kernel range, I'm
just not sure how to get it.
- the app I would like to profile is stripped and I have no source on
the target. I want to get more detailed call info so I assume I need to
copy the collected data back onto my build machine where I can then do
the analysis. Is this the correct way of doing it? Does anyone have
examples of what they do.

Any help much appreciated.

Will
Will Wagner                                     will_wagner at carallon.com
Development Manager                      Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7371 2032
Carallon Ltd, Studio G20, Shepherds Building, Rockley Rd, London W14 0DA