[Buildroot] buildroot noob help!

Jed Evnull jedevnull at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 21:59:07 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Michael S. Zick <minimod at morethan.org>wrote:

> On Sat October 15 2011, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
> > On 15 October 2011 22:12, Jed Evnull <jedevnull at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I need to compile packages for arm with uclibc and statically link
> them. Am
> > > I selecting the right tool with buildroot?
> >
> > I haven't done static linking with Buildroot. Is your reason for wanting
> static
> > linking that you will not use the rest of the rootfs Buildroot gives you?
> >
> > > I compiled  buildroot-2011.08
> > > with qemu_arm_versatile_defconfig.  The generated cross-compiler
> compiles
> > > simple hello world programs w/o problems, but fails with typical
> autoconf
> > > source packages.
> >
> > How did you try to build those packages? You will probably have most
> success
> > if you integrate the package in Buildroot. This is done by (typically)
> > writing two
> > small files in packages/<yourpackage>/. See the buildroot docs for the
> details.
> >
> > > I tried to chroot into the generated image (chroot myimage /bin/sh
> --login)
> > > to compile from there, but chroot fails with /bin/sh not found.
> >

> ???
>
> If your __not__ building on non-ARM, why do you need a cross-compiler?
>
> If you __are__ building on non-ARM, how did you expect your host
> machine to execute the ARM binaries inside of the chroot?
>
> Me-thinks you need QEMU or such like to do that.
>
> Mike
> > AFAIK, few people use Buildroot to build a compiler into the rootfs,
> > so this is not
> > that well supported. It's better to use Buildroot as a cross-compile
> system, not
> > native-compile.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bjørn Forsman

Sorry, I was probably incoherent. My goal is to produce arm binaries for my
tablet. I want them as small as possible, so I want statically linked
packages with uclibc, rather than glibc.

My first try was to use just the buildroot cross-compile toolchain with
./configure CC=arm-linux-gcc, LDFLAGS=-static, etc. A 'normal'
cross-compile, I guess. This is how I use the sourcery arm toochain to
produce kernels for my device.  That didn't work for anything but simple
hello world programs. Lots of different errors with autoconf.

 So I thought I would set up qemu for chroot and directly compile from
within the root_fs produced by buildroot, as worked with scratchbox/qemu.
But chroot into the image fails.chroot: failed to run command `/bin/su'.

Thanks for the replies. I'm re-reading docs.