[Buildroot] buildroot noob help!

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 14:21:52 UTC 2011

On 2011-10-17, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:

> On Saturday 15 October 2011 23:59:07, Jed Evnull wrote:
>> Sorry, I was probably incoherent. My goal is to produce arm binaries for my
>> tablet. I want them as small as possible, so I want statically linked
>> packages with uclibc, rather than glibc.
>
> If you want them as small as possible, you should _not_ link them
> statically...
>
> However, I guess the real problem is that you don't have access to
> the cross-compilation shared libraries and headers for your tablet.
> In that case linking statically is indeed a good solution.  Follow
> Grant's suggestion to use crosstool-NG.  Keep in mind though that for
> quite a few existing packages, linking statically doesn't work well
> (GStreamer and it's dependents, for instance).

Yep.  Anything that uses "plugins" (object files that are fouand,
selected, and loaded dynamically under program control after the
program is running) is going to be allergic to static linking.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! An Italian is COMBING
                                  at               his hair in suburban DES