[Buildroot] Request for comments on packages for TI's OMAP3 and DM365 processors

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Oct 18 12:33:26 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 18 October 2011 11:23:03, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
> On Friday 17 September 2010 19:59:45, Pierre-Luc Simard wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I'd like some comment on the packages I've made to support TI's gstreamer
> > plugin for the OMAP3 and DM365 processors. All packages compile using
> > crosstool-ng and glibc, I have not yet tested them with BR's own internal
> > toolchain and the uclibc at the moment. If anybody wants to test these
> > package I'll provide as much assistance as I can. I've publish my working
> > branch at http://github.com/Admetric/buildroot
>
>  Reviving a year-old thread...
>
>  It seems these patches were never commented upon and also weren't
> accepted.  I'm going to pick them up again.
>
>  Although these patches still apply cleanly against the current master,
>  there is probably some duplication with the TI things that were merged
>  earlier this year.

 Looks like I spoke too soon...

 That TI stuff is an unholy mess of different libraries, usually binary-only.  The patches that Pierre-Luc posted don't work anymore because things have been moved around on the TI website.  But the worst thing of all, all packages use a binary installer that has to be executed to self-extract the source code and (binary) libraries.

 Fortunately, TI's license allows redistribution in any form.  So we are allowed to repackage the extracted source/binary code.  That would be my preferred approach: download a .tgz from the buildroot mirror instead of going through the mess of running installer binaries.

 Peter, is that an acceptable solution?

 Bottom line will be that nothing of Pierre-Luc's original patches will be left.  For sure, I will limit my work to DM365 (that's the one I need myself).  And finally, my project manager just bumped down the priority of having the gstreamer-ti plugins in our project, so I may never do it after all...

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540