[Buildroot] [RFC] Slides "Using Buildroot for real projects"

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Oct 21 15:25:49 UTC 2011

Le Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:33:30 +0100,
Will Wagner <will_wagner at carallon.com> a écrit :

> Couple of minor points on the English (Still very impressive from a
> non native speaker)

Thanks!

> p8: "Buildroot starts by the toolchain" should be "starts with the"

Funny, because Will Moore told me to do the exact opposite (in a review
he sent me privately yesterday):

"""
Slide 7, "Buildroot starts with the toolchain" not "Buildroot starts by
the toolchain".
"""

Now I understand why I fail to further improve my english. It's because
it's a fuzzy logic language ! :-)

> p16 "Any other project specific file" should perhaps be "files"

I have changed to "All other project specific files", maybe it's more
correct?

> p17: "kernel and bootloaders often" shouldn't it be singular
> bootloader?

Not necessarily. On AT91 platforms, you have two bootloaders:
at91boostrap and u-boot, and I both patch them and build them within
Buildroot.

> p17: "drawback is that Buildroot does directly" unless I
> misunderstand the use case, don't you mean doesn't?

Fixed, thanks, that was a major typo.

> p21: "I don't recommend this, ..." I'm not sure if you are not
> recommending changing the skeleton or using a script to modify it

Ok, I tried to clarify it:

"""I don't recommend this solution as it consists in duplicating the
default skeleton, which would prevent from taking advantage of future
improvements of the default skeleton."""

> p30: "finds automagically" should be "automagically finds"

Fixed.

> p37: "assignements" should be assignments

Fixed.

> p37: "allows to tell" should be "allows you to tell"

Fixed.

> One thing I'd love to get written up somewhere is best practice for
> NFS mounting a filesystem image, but I realise this may not be
> relevant to your talk.

Ah, good point. I'll include a slide about this.

Thanks!

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons