[Buildroot] Dropbear reports errors in system log

Will Moore will.moore at beraninstruments.com
Mon Sep 12 14:01:00 UTC 2011

Having read the man page for utmp/wtmp/lastlog and had a play I believe:

utmp records who is currently logged in to the system and so it should not to
continue to grow in a big way; when you ssh log on and off repeatedly there is
only one entry in utmp.

wtmp records all logins and so will continue to grow, albeit at a "slow" rate;
when you ssh log on and off repeatedly there are multiple entries in wtmp.
Rather than create wtmp I believe dropbear should be configured --disable-wtmp
to avoid the warnings.  Other than "last" does anything use wtmp?

lastlog records the last login for each user and so should not continue to grow;
when you ssh log on and off repeatedly there is only one entry in lastlog.  We
could create lastlog but does anything or anybody use it?  Busybox does not seem
to have a "lastlog"...

> According to the manual entry on this system (which may not be typical of
> yours) -
> If the wtmp does not exist, then nothing makes it and that logging is turned
> off.
>
> The story is different about utmp, it is a requirement for Linux operation.
> Which does not prevent you from deleting/creating it at each reboot.

I believe these are all tmpfs files and so will be/will need to be created a
fresh each boot.