[Buildroot] Minimal X-system for ARM ?

Vellemans, Noel Noel.Vellemans at visionBMS.com
Tue Sep 13 14:31:54 UTC 2011

Hi Thomas,

OK, you re right not enough info to be accurate. (sorry)

At this time I'm trying to build an arm-system with an LCD and capacitive-touch-screen-interface ( I do not have a REAL-keyboard).

In the ideal case I would like to build a device that compares to some sort of tablet.
That runs some extra software to handle direct-input/outputs and serial communications to external-devices.

The LCD-would then be used to visualize some stuff.
In the most ideal case I would like to do this with the WEB-BROWSER, that is running on the ARM-device himself, making it possible to build a fancy user interface without the need of real-coding and giving me the option (for free) to look/see at it remotely (with a PC and browser).

Also would the WEB-Brouwser-UI allow me to change the look and feel of the device without the need of 'real' coding.

At this time I have the this setup running on DirectFB (meaning without xserver/client), but I'm having troubles to get a 'VIRTUAL-keyboard' running under directFb.

I was looking at some other systems that you can compare and the all seem to have an X-server (and window manager) running.

So I though things would be more easy/better if I had a X-server (and client and associated libs) running, as far as I can see this gives me the option of the Virtual-keyboard.

I must Say I'm new to building X (server/clients and window-managers... This was the reason for the question)

Kinds regards,
Noel.