[Buildroot] Segmentation faults after gcc update

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Sep 27 21:35:06 UTC 2011

Le Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:04:12 +0200,
Sven Neumann <s.neumann at raumfeld.com> a écrit :

> we are using buildroot successfully for quite a while now and after
> I've recently managed to bring our buildroot environment up-to-date
> with current git, I've changed the gcc version from 4.3.6 to 4.6.1.
> That was the only change to the config. The resulting image boots and
> some services (syslogd, klogd, udevd, sshd) are up and running. I can
> log into the system and the busybox tools I tried to far seem to work
> fine. However lots of applications that used to run fine now
> immidiately die with a segmentation fault:
>
> # dbus-daemon
> Segmentation fault
>
> # uuidgen
> Segmentation fault
>
> # sqlite3
> Segmentation fault
>
> # iperf
> Segmentation fault
>
> What could possibly be wrong here? Is there anything else I need to
> change when changing the version of gcc?

Hum, odd. Some questions:

 * Do you have the same version of uClibc in both cases ?

 * Is your Busybox (which works) statically linked or dynamically
   linked ? If statically linked, is the problem that all dynamically
   linked binaries are non working (which would indicate a bug in the
   dynamic linker) ? If not, is there anything common between all the
   non-working binaries ?

 * What does a gdb session says for the execution of one of those
   binaries ?

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons