[Buildroot] Kernel does not boot on I.MX28

Mikael Åsberg mikael.asberg at mdh.se
Fri Apr 13 07:38:58 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to run a kernel on a I.MX28 EVK board.
I'm using u-boot (from LTIB) on a SD card to boot my kernel.

First I did 'make menuconfig' and set mxs_defconfig, and then 'make'.
Then I do 'make linux-menuconfig' (adding as many UART options as possible).
I do a 'make menuconfig' again and set Kernel --> Kernel configuration --> Using a custom config file.
I change file path to output/build/linux-3.2.6/.config (instead of mxs_defconfig).
Finally, I do 'make'.

However after uncompression, it stops:

U-Boot 2009.08 (Apr 12 2012 - 17:31:26)

Freescale i.MX28 family
CPU:   454 MHz
BUS:   151 MHz
EMI:   205 MHz
GPMI:   24 MHz
DRAM:  128 MB
MMC:   IMX_SSP_MMC: 0, IMX_SSP_MMC: 1
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   got MAC address from IIM: 00:04:9f:01:d4:04
FEC0
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
reading /uimage

2824696 bytes read
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 42000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.2.6
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2824632 Bytes =  2.7 MB
   Load Address: 40008000
   Entry Point:  40008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Mikael Åsberg
PhD student (Doktorand), Computer Engineering
School of Innovation, Design and Engineering
Mälardalen University, Västerås Sweden
Phone: +46(0)21 101502
Room nr: U1-145
Mail: mikael.asberg at mdh.se