[Buildroot] trouble running an ARM uImage

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Aug 2 19:40:09 UTC 2012

Le Thu, 2 Aug 2012 11:28:33 -0700,
Charles Krinke <charles.krinke at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I am having trouble running a Linux kernel built with several
> toolchains with my AM3517 project. The only one that seems to work
> correctly is the external installation of CodeSourcery's 2010.09.
>
> A uImage built with the toolchain inside buildroot, selecting 2011.09
> or 2012.03 gives me what appears to be a proper uImage, and u-boot

We don't have a CodeSourcery 2012.03 toolchain supported in Buildroot
for ARM, as far as I know.

> loads it, but it doesnt run. It just stops in u-boot after the message
> "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.".
>
> I have ensured the mkimage I am using comes from /tools in u-boot. As
> I recall, only 3 things are necessary to build a uImage. 1) ARCH 2)
> CROSS_COMPILE & 3) mkimage.
>
> My experience is that the linux kernel is very insensitive to
> toolchains, that is, any old arm toolchain should work fine.
>
> Am I caught up in gnu versus eabi? What other things can I check to
> figure out how to move forward?

Please enable CONFIG_EARLYPRINTK in your kernel configuration, and pass
"earlyprintk" to the kernel command line.

Are you sure you have the same kernel configuration in all your tests?

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons