[Buildroot] glibc instead of ulibc ?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Aug 3 14:42:03 UTC 2012

Hello,

Again, please don't reply to me directly, but to the list instead.

Le Fri, 3 Aug 2012 07:34:03 -0700 (PDT),
Zoran Djordjevic <djdjdjole at yahoo.com> a écrit :

> I don't build with Buildroot generated compilerbut with free pascal compiler
> which is part of Lazarus IDE (beforehend prepeard for ARM crosscompiling).

It won't work. You *have* to use the compiler generated by Buildroot,
otherwise you'll face an horrible number of ABI issues and other
compatibility problems.

> And this compiler is the one who asks for (I think) glibc and not uClibc.
> I don't know if I can use GUI IDE and then build with Buildroot compiler. In
> my case, most likely not - it is Pascal at least.
> And if I use Buildroot compiler, I must learn gtk and Qt details and spare much
> time on graphical designing.

What is the compilation process for Pascal code with Freepascal? Can't
you tell it to use another compiler? Or is this thing a fork from gcc?
Or does it have its own compiler? If you don't look at these in
details, you will never manage to do anything.

That said, you seem to be horrified by GUI development using Qt. Have
you ever tried it for real? It is really simple and nice, so you should
at least give it a try. I think it's a much much better option for
embedded development that this Freepascal/Lazarus stuff.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons