[Buildroot] [RFC] "select" vs. "depends on" : a proposal for a workaround

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Thu Aug 9 12:06:29 UTC 2012

Alex, Thomas, All,

On Thursday 09 August 2012 13:57:02 Alex Bradbury wrote:
> On 9 August 2012 12:30, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
> > Le Thu, 9 Aug 2012 11:58:19 +0200,
> > I must admit I still see this as a workaround for a
> > deficiency/limitation of kconfig. It's true that it will make our
> > package Config.in files a bit less obvious to understand.
>
> Is that "I'd prefer to see a patch to add this functionality to
> buildroot's kconfig?".

I think that kconfig changes should go upstream (ie. the linux kernel) first.

Such a change will probably be very intrusive; and there are very
kconfig-knowledgeable persons on the linux-kbuild ML that can rhelp eview
such an impacting change.

Of course, nothing prevents one from testing that change against buildroot! ;-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |