[Buildroot] buildroot 2012.11 large file support

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Wed Dec 12 20:15:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

 >> Hmm, we already pass --disable-largefile to the gcc configure script,
 >> except for the first 2 passes. Does it work if we add
 >> $(DISABLE_LARGEFILE) to the gcc1 / gcc2 configure steps?

 Thomas> !largefile build is OK if we pass $(DISABLE_LARGEFILE) to gcc1 and gcc2
 Thomas> configure steps, so it solves the build problem. I haven't done more
 Thomas> testing though (testing the generated code, building with largefile
 Thomas> enabled, etc.).

Cool, great - I'll commit that then.

 Thomas> That said, doesn't --disable-largefile disables largefile support at
 Thomas> the level of gcc itself, rather than taking into account the fact that
 Thomas> largefile support is not available on the target? Of course, it has the
 Thomas> consequence that _FILE_OFFSET_BITS is no longer defined to 64 in
 Thomas> auto-conf.h, which works around the problem. But gcc (the host
 Thomas> binary) should be capable of being built with largefile support on a 32
 Thomas> bits host, even if the 32 bits target has no largefile support.

So for the cross compiler to be able to access large files? Is that
really important? I doubt people are using buildroot with 2G+
source/object/library files?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard