[Buildroot] External Toolchain: Calculation of SYSROOT_DIR in toolchain/toolchain-external/ext-tool.mk wrong?

Warlich, Christof christof.warlich at siemens.com
Wed Feb 1 15:25:48 UTC 2012

> > I fully agree with you, but when I talked about the amount of effort, I
> > was referring to the effort that it would take me to convince management
> > to give away that code. I know from earlier experience how much (useless)
> > energy that may take.

> Ok. Do your management realize that a toolchain is mostly composed of
> gcc, binutils, uClibc and gdb, that all of these are distributed under
> GPL or LGPL licenses, and therefore you have to keep the source code
> open for those components in order to comply with their licenses?

I think they do, as the source _is_ passed to our customer. The legal
department has obvoiusly forced them to do so. But I guess the propriarity
mindset is still so deeply engraved in those heads that they still think
it may be better to restrict the audience as much as (legally) possible,
although the customer in turn would (according to the GPL) be allowed to
pass those sources to the public anyway. Again, I'm really sorry for that.
And anyhow, don't mind, the toolchain would not be of much use without
the maching (patched) linux kernel.

> > Considering the hard and good work that you guys are offering for free,
> > all I can do for now is to sincerely apologize. I would however certainly
> > be willing to discuss and test any more generic patch if you are still
> > Interested to put further work into the issue despite the unpleasent
> > circunstances.
> >
> > Again, sorry for not being as helpful as I would like to be,

> Can you try:
>
> 	sed -r -e 's:(usr/)?lib/libc\.a::'
>
> This will make the usr/ part at the beginning optional. It seems to do
> the job here:
>
> thomas at skate:~$ echo "foo/bar/test/lib/libc.a" | sed -r -e 's:(usr/)?lib/libc\.a::'
> foo/bar/test/
> thomas at skate:~$ echo "foo/bar/test/usr/lib/libc.a" | sed -r -e 's:(usr/)?lib/libc\.a::'
> foo/bar/test/
>
> If you just make that change, does all the rest of the external
> Toolchain logic works for you?

Yes, that works like a charm with our toolchain as well.

Thanks again for your generous support,

Chris