[Buildroot] FW: Buildroot RFS Login Question

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Feb 8 20:04:42 UTC 2012

On Wed 08 Feb 2012 17:49:46 EST, Peter Korsgaard wrote:
>  Mark> FWIW I find on a fresh install I have to login as "default" and then
>  Mark> "su -" to root.
>
> With the default skeleton the root user has an empty password, so you
> should be able to login as root on the console (not ssh, as that
> typically doesn't allow empty passwords).

Right, I was struggling to find the right inittab entry for a "normal"
console
login and had used /bin/login which seems to demand a non-root login.
Once
I tried this it let me in as root without a password...

tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

It would have saved me a lot of time if this entry was in /etc/inittab,
even if
it was commented out.