[Buildroot] first things first for a newbie

MERCADIER Johann johann.mercadier at imerir.com
Sat Jan 28 19:32:50 UTC 2012

Hello everybody,
  I am newbie in the embedded computer world. I first start with Buildroot
as it seems to be more "simple" and straight forward while having to deal
with just few configs and cards.
  But! nothing seems to way it should and I feel pretty annoyed by this as
I cannot find any relevant help on the internet or through misc. books.
Most of the time what I found is tutorial where everything seems to work
fine.
  So my first question is why Buildroot has no Forum or a good developped
FAQ? I don't really understand why it so great to work with mailing list?
If I have to I will do it this way  (o_-)

  My second question is more technical and is related to PandaBoard. I
finally decided to by one for misc purposes. To build everything I need I
got first Buildroot 2011.11

   I use the following:
     BR2_DEFAULT_KERNEL_HEADERS="3.0.4"
     BR2_UCLIBC_VERSION_STRING="0.9.32"
     BR2_BINUTILS_VERSION="2.21.1"
     BR2_TOOLCHAIN_BUILDROOT=y
     BR2_cortex_a9=y
     BR2_ARM_TYPE="ARM_CORTEXA9"
     BR2_ARM_EABI=y
     BR2_ARCH="arm"
     BR2_ENDIAN="LITTLE"
     BR2_GCC_TARGET_TUNE="cortex-a9"
     BR2_GCC_TARGET_ARCH="armv7-a"
     BR2_GCC_TARGET_ABI="aapcs-linux"
     BR2_arm=y

  When I try to build the TC it doesn't work well and I get an issue with
'gettext' while I've got everything on my host computer. I then remove all
related part to gettext as i18n stuff and WCHAR then I got a TC. Then I do
again a 'make menuconfig' add the locale and do a 'time make V=1' I got a
TC whith the locale. strange behaviour, probably some dependencies and jobs
to be done in a given order?
  On the next stage I try to go further  configuring the uClibc, busybox,
and file support everything working fine, then I got such a kind of error
if I try to add GDB for the target, host, and server part
"
/media/hddPANDAdev/ARMSTUFF/LTiB/BR/buildroot-2011.11/output/toolchain/gdb-7.3.1/readline/support/wcwidth.c:22:29:
error: expected ')' before 'ucs'
/media/hddPANDAdev/ARMSTUFF/LTiB/BR/buildroot-2011.11/output/toolchain/gdb-7.3.1/readline/support/wcwidth.c:72:21:
error: expected ')' before 'ucs'
/media/hddPANDAdev/ARMSTUFF/LTiB/BR/buildroot-2011.11/output/toolchain/gdb-7.3.1/readline/support/wcwidth.c:139:28:
error: expected ';', ',' or ')' before '*' token
/media/hddPANDAdev/ARMSTUFF/LTiB/BR/buildroot-2011.11/output/toolchain/gdb-7.3.1/readline/support/wcwidth.c:161:32:
error: expected ')' before 'ucs'
/media/hddPANDAdev/ARMSTUFF/LTiB/BR/buildroot-2011.11/output/toolchain/gdb-7.3.1/readline/support/wcwidth.c:230:32:
error: expected ';', ',' or ')' before '*' token
make[3]: *** [wcwidth.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-readline] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: ***
[/media/hddPANDAdev/ARMSTUFF/LTiB/BR/buildroot-2011.11/output/build/gdb-7.3.1-target/gdb/gdb]
Error 2
"
 I don't know what to look after, should I have a look into the 'wcwidth.c'
program file? Could it be wrong? or it come from some other part.

Any help is welcome ;o)

bye

--
Cordialement.

___Johann MERCADIER___

"I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little for so long
that I am now qualified to do anything with nothing."
HOOSEEK (http://www.hooseek.com/) 1°moteur de recherche solidaire!