[Buildroot] Different runlevels support

Michael S. Zick minimod at morethan.org
Tue Jan 3 14:10:48 UTC 2012

On Mon January 2 2012, Mahanteshwari Hiremath wrote:
> >>Busybox's init does not support run levels. All scripts are executed always.
>
> >>Are you sure you are running sysv init and not busybox?
>
> Hi,
> Yes I am using sysv init not busy box, I have completely disabled init
> utilities in busybox and enabled sysvinit.
>  And the contets of the sysvinit generated inittab are like this,

The command: 'man inittab' on a system with sysv installed will give
you all the gory details, but...

> # /etc/inittab
> #
> # This inittab is a basic inittab sample for sysvinit, which mimics
> # Buildroot's default inittab for Busybox.
> id:1:initdefault:
>
> proc::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
> rwmo::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw / # REMOUNT_ROOTFS_RW
> dpts::sysinit:/bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts
> moun::sysinit:/bin/mount -a
> host::sysinit:/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
> init::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
>
> 1:1:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
> 2:1:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2

If you want the above to happen in all levels except 0 & 6 :
1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2

Other examples in the man(ual), such as how to use the S&K scripts.
If you don't have a system with the sysvinit manual installed,
Google can find you a copy posted on the web.

Mike