[Buildroot] Buildroot Developer Day, Friday 3rd February, Brussels

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 14:16:10 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at uclibc.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Thomas> Another thing that came to mind recently: if you want to use the same
>  Thomas> buildroot sources for two projects (instead of forking them), then you
>  Thomas> may end up with conflicts on package versions. For example, the first
>  Thomas> project may use a certain kernel version, which causes certain
>  Thomas> packages like iproute2 to need a certain version, while the other
>  Thomas> project uses a different kernel version and thus a different version
>  Thomas> of some packages.
>
> I've maintained buildroot support for a number of projects at $WORK for
> 5+ years, and the way I've always handled this is with
> branches/tags. Buildroot head moves forward and follows upstream, but
> projects might decide to freeze (or if needed branch) once they have a
> stable setup. I use the same approach with the Linux kernel and u-boot,
> without any real problems.

Essentially this is the same as creating two independent buildroot
repositories, one for each project. This approach does not have a
single mainstream that allows different configurations for each
project, but rather creates two streams, each with their own
configuration. In my case, since we have many similar but different
products, I'd prefer to be able to keep one stream.

>  Thomas> Or maybe independent from the kernel, for some reason a project may
>  Thomas> need different package versions.
>  Thomas> For most packages, the version to be used is hardcoded in the .mk
>  Thomas> file. For others, like gdb, there is a choice of versions via the
>  Thomas> .config file. I understand we cannot supply such gdb-like
>  Thomas> configuration for all packages as that would be way overkill. However,
>  Thomas> another mechanism could be used, e.g. like the source directory
>  Thomas> override feature (but then: version override).
>
> I would prefer to not add too much complexity for such a specialized /
> advanced feature.

In its basic form, I don't think it has to be very complex. Although I
haven't looked into this in detail, it could be enough to allow to
override FOO_VERSION from the configuration or from a certain
project-specific file.

>  Thomas> And another one: In november I started a discussion on package
>  Thomas> patching: http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2011-November/047505.html
>  Thomas> I think we were almost to a conclusion, but it seems I forgot to keep
>  Thomas> the thread active and it dried out. So maybe it's worth taking this up
>  Thomas> again to reach a conclusion.
>
> yes, I think this is good to go, it just needs to be implemented. With
> us being this close to 2012.02-rc1 I might wait until I start the next
> branch though.

I understand. I haven't had a lot of time lately either to submit patches.