[Buildroot] Troubles with initramfs

Dallas Clement dallas.a.clement at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:44:35 UTC 2012

> With the default Buildroot, when you enable the initramfs file format,
> it's the entire root filesystem that gets included as an initramfs into
> the kernel.

That could very well be.  It's apparently creating a default initramfs
image found under linux-<blah>/usr named initramfs_data.cpio.gz.  I
cracked it open and there's a lot of files in there.

dallasc dallasc 76142592 Jul 31 17:12 initramfs_data.cpio

> If you decided to follow Avery's suggestion (creating a separate
> initramfs that includes selected parts of the real root filesystem),
> then you should probably not use Buildroot initramfs capabilities, and
> simply configure your kernel to point CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE to your
> special initramfs.

<nod>, still intending to do that.  This was just an initial
experiment.  Looks like the linker errors came from the large size of
the initramfs and limited branching range on ARM.  I was frankly
surprised that buildroot attempts to create a default initramfs.

Moving on to creating a minimal size initramfs.