[Buildroot] RFC: x11r7.7 patch series

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Jun 18 14:21:56 UTC 2012

Le Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:55:02 +0100,
Will Wagner <will_wagner at carallon.com> a écrit :

> You can find my work on updating to x11r7.7 on gitorious at
> https://gitorious.org/willw-buildroot/willw-buildroot/commits/remotes/gitorious/x11r7.7
>
> There are a few parts to the patch series I am not sure about:
> - I have deleted all packages not in the 7.7 release, this may remove
> things people still use and feel should still be in buildroot

Most likely if they have been removed upstream, they are unmaintained,
and we should remove them as well.

I've seen that a fair amount of packages are removed, but I haven't
seen any new package. Is this normal? No new components in 7.7 compared
to the older release we have in BR?

> - I had a problem updating mesa3d. The newer versions rely on host
> libxml2 with python support. There are a couple of patches to do this
> but I don't particularly like these. If someone can come up with
> something better then great.

Erk. I've seen what you've done, and even though is certainly the
easiest solution, I don't like it a lot. Until now, we have tried to
avoid the need for options on host packages...

Do you have some details on why the mesa3d package needs libxml2 with
python support?

> - There was one package I couldn't compile
> xdriver_xf86-input-synaptics. Didn't spend any time on trying to fix
> it though (I suspect broken in current buildroot as well).

Ok.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons