[Buildroot] Compiling grub on x86_64

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Jun 28 09:56:13 UTC 2012

Le Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:46:31 +0200,
Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> a écrit :

> Agreed. It's however a shame that it's not possible to build a complete
> bootloader+kernel+rootfs for x86_64 with a single Buildroot
> configuration :-(
>
> How other build systems handle this?

Other questions:

 * What about using the host compiler to build Grub? I know it sounds a
   bit funky, but in practice, most Buildroot users will work on
   x86/x86_64 machines. If they are on x86, then it just works, if they
   work on x86_64, then most likely they have a multilib 32/64
   toolchain installed on their host. This would at least enable, for
   most users, the possibility of building Grub as part of a x86_64
   target system configuration.

 * What does Grub really require from gcc_s? Is it impossible to rework
   Grub to make independent from the compiler companion libraries?

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons