[Buildroot] Why web search engine wrong for the Buildroot URL

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Fri Mar 2 08:40:41 UTC 2012

 >> The buildroot.uclibc.org is a "legacy" address from before we had our
 >> own domain.

 Thomas> It seems we have both a .net and .org address now. The announcements
 Thomas> of 2012.02 use the .net address.

Yes. I bought buildroot.net in early 2009, and some time later (mid 2009 I
think) the owner of buildroot.org transferred control (not ownership)
over to us.

I've used .net addresses in the announcements since 2009.

 Thomas> However, personally I would prefer the .org address, which is more
 Thomas> common in open-source projects in my (subjective) experience.

The reason for .net is mainly historical, and because of the (slight)
risk that Earl Levine (buildroot.org owner) will run away with it. i
don't feel strongly about it, but .net atleast matches busybox.net ;)

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard