[Buildroot] Buildroot and linux-pam?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed May 16 11:52:53 UTC 2012

Hello Dmitry,

Le Wed, 16 May 2012 06:32:14 -0400,
Dmitry Golubovsky <golubovsky at gmail.com> a écrit :

> It looks like linux-pam was never included in Buildroot, and there are
> few packages* where use of pam was explicitly disabled.
>
> I managed to compile it with Buildroot though [1] with a number of
> hacks and workarounds. I tested it (at least pam_exec) with Qingy as a
> login program.
>
> If I provide a better quality patch, will linux-pam be accepted? If
> yes, will there be any objections to (conditionally) enabling pam at
> least in systemd?

There will at least be no objection on my side, and in general, people
are fine with adding new features to existing packages.

> I am interested in both for my buildroot-based project which needs an
> authrntication facility. If for some reason linux-pam cannot be
> accepted, I'll keep this stuff as part of my project outside the
> buildroot tree.
>
> Please let me know your opinion, or any suggestions how to improve the
> Makefile (apart from obvious cleanups).

We would definitely welcome libpam as a package. Your hacks don't look
really big, and there are probably ways to make them look a bit nicer.
You're apparently modifying the config.h manually, which is generated
by ./configure script. Isn't it possible by passing environment
variables to the ./configure script, to ensure that the problematic
test gets the appropriate value?

If you give a little bit more details on which problems those hacks are
solving, I'm sure we can help you to come up with solutions.

Thanks,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons