[Buildroot] Build a Linux on a Customized Board (SAMSUNG S3C2410A)

narke narkewoody at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 05:54:51 UTC 2012

Hi, List

I want to build a Linux system on a customized board.  I desire to get
professional suggestions from you about how possible to have the task
done with buildroot.  I also like to know your suggestions what else
if not buildroot I still need to go for a learn.

I don't so much care what the version of the resulting OS kernel, I
just know a need a c lib to support a set of C applications that
originally run on the board.

The board current already had a Linux OS run on it, together with our
applications.  I have on-hand three binary image files, a boot loader,
a kernel image and a root file system image.  But I don't have the
source.  Several guys prepared the board and the OS for our company,
but it's long long time ago.  These guys had already dismissed their
some company and we lost contacts to them.

I know there have one or two customized drivers inside the kernel, but
don't know what they are.  I also know, there is a CPLD chip on the
board that is doing some memory mapping to translate between virtual
addresses to some peripherals.  I see 4 pcs of 16C554DIQ(D2) chips on
the board.

The CPU is a SAMSUNG S3C2410AL-20 ARM. Other common peripherals on the
board includes: flash chips, SD card, Ethernet ports.

For the unclear hardware, I have a hardware guy who can support me to
clarify the functionality of the hardware part. But, as the only
firmware guy, I have to build and prepare the Linux OS.  We cannot use
the original binary version of Linux any more because we cannot extend
that for new needs.

Where should I start? And, whether the famous Buildroot can save my
ass?  It will be highly appreciated if you give me any suggestions and
clues.

    -- Schopenhauer

narke
public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 (narkewoody at gmail.com)