[Buildroot] Udev on a live CD system does not appear to populate /dev

Antony Vennard antony.vennard at macrium.com
Thu Nov 8 09:56:50 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I'm not using initramfs - I'm using the ISO 9660 target which as far as I
can see produces an initrd, a kernel and an ext2 raw image which it mounts
as a ramdisk. If I select the initramfs options, the cpio filesystem is
generated prior to the iso9660 one, but the initramfs afterwards! Which
means, as far as I can see, that initramfs would not be placed on the disk
- unless buildroot manipulates the iso filesystem post creation? I could of
course mkisofs myself, but I was trying to avoid that - although if this
fixes udev, I'll do it.

I've nothing /dev related in my fs/skeleton, and only the default values in
device_table.txt. Since I'm using udev, I did expect it would populate
everything it needed in /dev - although unless I add entries for null,
console and a tty into device_table.txt, I end up with a distribution that
loops forever saying "could not find /dev/tty1" (if I've configured tty1 as
the location for getty for example). I can't mitigate this by re-writing
the inittab to launch getty "once" as opposed to respawn, since buildroot
rewrites that - and askfirst:/bin/sh works, except that the respawn error
messages are written all over /dev/console, making it unusable...!

By the sounds of things this is wrong, but I'm currently attempting to
preconfigure some devices in device_table.txt - e.g. /dev/null,
/dev/urandom et al pseudo devices, and I'm borrowing Ubuntu's rules.d to
see if these are any more effective than Fedora's. Leaving device_table.txt
as its default causes the tty1 missing loop. I am not expecting this to
work - I cannot see how udev rules differ greatly between distributions -
just eliminating it as a possible cause.

Any further ideas as to what I can try? Is mdev a better choice?

Thanks for your help,

Antony

--
________________

Macrium(tm) Software is a trading name of Paramount Software UK Ltd,
Registered in England and Wales Number 02973414
Registered Office: Kilburn House, Manchester Science Park, Lloyd St. North,
Manchester M15 6SE United Kingdom

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, privileged, or
otherwise protected from disclosure. It is intended only for the use of the
authorized individual as indicated in the e-mail. Any unauthorized
disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action based on the
contents of this material is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately.