[Buildroot] Udev on a live CD system does not appear to populate /dev

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Nov 8 21:17:26 UTC 2012

On 11/08/12 17:02, Antony Vennard wrote:
> I am using grub, and have modified my grub command line to use:
>
> title LiveCD
> kernel /vmlinuz vga=0x317
> initrd /initramfs.bz2
>
> The kernel has bz2, xz and gzip initramfs support built in - so all good
> there. However, the kernel complains there's no root parameter. What
> should I specify for this?

  If you build a cpio rootfs, you shouldn't need any additional command line
parameters because the kernel never gets to mounting the root filesystem.  It
just runs the /init in the initramfs.

  Using a cpio rootfs should also solve your problems with the device nodes,
because we provide a /init that mounts devtmpfs explicitly.

  Regards,
  Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540