[Buildroot] Various problem using buildroot-2012.05

Stefan Fröberg stefan.froberg at petroprogram.com
Mon Nov 12 00:04:57 UTC 2012

12.11.2012 0:47, Arnout Vandecappelle kirjoitti:
> On 11/10/12 15:51, Stefan Fröberg wrote:
>>
>> If you try to use buildroot-made target gcc to compile perl, that is,
>> you use buildroot to cross-compile gcc to run
>> natively inside
>> uClibc (?) environment, then you might encounter problems.
>>
>> As Thomas has said in few times here for people telling about
>> problems of native gcc-toolchain, buildroot is about
>> cross-compiling stuff
>> and buildroot produced native gcc-toolchain is really not supported
>> and might be still broken
>> (I don't know what the current status of it is now).
>
>  The current status is: we're going to remove it.  Thomas has just
> posted some
> patches to do that.

Awww...
Well, it's good that he mentioned it at this point, before I started
doing any real work with that native toolchain.

>  The idea is: if you need a toolchain on the target, there is no
> reason not to
> use a normal distro: debian, ubuntu, gentoo, ....
>

>  As for perl, however, I think we really would like to be able to
> cross-compile
> perl modules.  But that unfortunately still needs some work.  I messed
> about
> with it for a bit, but I can't say I really understand how the perl
> build system
> works.

Yeah.

Another "little" difficult case is Python.

Even tought Python uses autotools, it (and Perl) will always be the
worst cross-compile
friendly citizens in my book.
Way back, before buildroot, I tried many times to cross-compile it in
Mingw32 environment and it was an
absolute nightmare. With Perl I had even less luck.

Every time I find an interesting open source project that I would like
to try and cross-compile,
I will make an silent prayer to God's of programmers that the build
system that is revealed from
tarball will be a GNU autoconf script (or even cmake one for God's sake)
and not
some hodge-bodge, custom made, configuration nightmare.

Regards
Stefan