[Buildroot] How to regenerate zImage?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Nov 21 09:38:44 UTC 2012

Dear Woody Wu,

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:24:36 +0000 (UTC), Woody Wu wrote:

> > However, note that making changing to the source code anywhere in
> > output/build/... is a really stupid idea, as all those changes will be
> > lost next time you do 'make clean'.
> >
> Yes, I agree this is stupid. So I also really like to know whta's the
> best practice to do this kind of work. Would you be so kind to have a
> introduction or point me to a docment? Thanks

Two solutions:

 *) Do the build of the component you're actively working on outside of
    Buildroot. Typically, when I do kernel hacking, I do it outside of
    Buildroot, and I use Buildroot only as a final integration
    mechanism, to make sure that the system build process is
    reproducible. But not during development.

 *) Use the OVERRIDE_SRCDIR mechanism, as documented in
    http://www.elinux.org/images/2/2a/Using-buildroot-real-project.pdf,
    slide 41.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons