[Buildroot] Question about 64Bit kernel and 32Bit applications

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Oct 4 09:08:40 UTC 2012

On 02/10/12 22:46, Ronny Meeus wrote:
> Another solution would be to have 2 buildroot environments, 1 for the
> 32bit applications and 1 for the 64bit applications.
> For example the 64bit could be "the master" one. In this a directory
> of the slave buildroot can be specified and this master will merge the
> 32bit applications together with its libraries from the slave
> output/target into its own target/output and remake the rootfs.
>
> This might not be a nice solution, but I think it will work.
>
> It can be considered similar to BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTRA_EXTERNAL_LIBS
> where a copy is made of certain things into the root-fs.

  First of all, I'm not at all convinced that the multilib usecase is valid
for buildroot.  I mean, obviously it's a valid usecase, but if you need
that I don't think that buildroot should be your weapon of choice.

  That said, if you (temporarily) do need a mixed 32/64-bit system, I think
this approach is the most appropriate: make two separate buildroot builds,
and merge them together at the end.  The merge can be done in the post-build
script.  The post-build script could even call the'make' for the other part
  of the system...  The tricky part is that the libraries from the 'slave'
environment will have to be moved into a multilib directory (i.e. lib32 or
lib64).

  I don't immediately see a need for changes in the buildroot infrastructure.

  Regards,
  Arnout
--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540