[Buildroot] no /dev/console; /dev/null when booting with initrd of type 'ext2'

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Oct 16 16:09:45 UTC 2012

On 16/10/12 16:16, Thierry Bultel wrote:
> When booting with an initrd of type "ext2", as it is the case when using a generated ISO image,

  ISO?

> the kernel (a 3.2.21 in my case) does not automagically create the "/dev/null" and "dev/console" entries,
> whereas it does when using a cpio.

  The kernel doesn't, but buildroot does.  We copy fs/cpio/init to /init
for cpio (and initramfs) archives, because those are the ones that are
normally used for initrd.

  You can copy fs/cpio/init to /init in your post-build script, if you like.

> Would the solution be to always have these inodes created in 'device_table.txt' ?
> (Works in my case, I do not plan to use the static table)

  Not really: the kernel doesn't automount devtmps for initrd.

> Or change the ISO generation for using cpio instead of ext2 ?

  There's no point in using ext2 for initrd, it just adds overhead.
So yes, switch to cpio.

  Oh, now I see your point with the iso image: fs/iso9660 uses an ext2
initrd...  Hm, that seems like a bad idea.  Someone should rewrite that.

  Regards,
  Arnout
--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540