[Buildroot] external toolchains and sysroot

Jean-Mickael Guerin jean-mickael.guerin at 6wind.com
Tue Oct 23 06:45:30 UTC 2012

On 21/10/2012 11:41, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> I am the one who wrote the external toolchain support as it is now.
> Initially, things were working as you suggested, i.e keep the sysroot
> in its original place, and use -I/-L to point to the headers and
> libraries that Buildroot adds. It/mostly/  works, but causes for some
> packages horrible problems with libtool.

> I don't have the time right now to dig into the archives, but this is a
> problem we worked on around December 2008, and it has allowed the
> external toolchain support to work nicely and properly since then.

> If you have problems with external toolchain support, don't hesitate to
> point me to the toolchain you're using, and how to reproduce your
> problem. I am fairly sure it is not related to the fact that we're
> copying the sysroot.

Well, the issue *is* this large copy.

We can improve the share of toolchains among multiple builds, and
simplify this code for ext toolchain support (btw there is hack to avoid
too big usr/locale..).

I can propose the patch, but which are the options to get confident?
Do we have ext-toolchain in the serie of daily auto-build?

I could find in archive some discussion about Qtopia, DirectFB, but
nothing explicitly related to sysroot or library path.
Someone else may remember other problem? a specific toolchain?

Regards,
Jean-Mickael