[Buildroot] Beaglebone build broken ?

Frank Hunleth fhunleth at troodon-software.com
Fri Sep 7 12:49:47 UTC 2012

Hi Vineet,

Since I originally submitted the patches for the Beaglebone, the
project that I was using this for decided to go with a different
processor. I'll try to post with what I know, but it may be dated.

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Vineet Gupta <Vineet.Gupta1 at synopsys.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the tip of buildroot, to build for beaglebone (using
> beaglebone_defconfig) and running into a couple of issues:
>
> 1. The hard FPU settings cause uClibc build to break (intermixing of
> soft and hard) and an equivalent of below needs to be made to top level
> config file.
>
> -BR2_EXTRA_GCC_CONFIG_OPTIONS="--with-fpu=vfpv3 --with-float=hard"
> +BR2_EXTRA_GCC_CONFIG_OPTIONS="--with-float=soft"
> -# BR2_SOFT_FLOAT is not set
> +BR2_SOFT_FLOAT=y
>
> If this is a must, can this be committed to buildroot itself. I can't
> propose a patch myself because I'm not sure why it must or must-not be
> built with software float.

I don't know enough to comment on this one, but it really doesn't seem
like this should have happened. It seems like if you specify hard
float that you should be able to get it. I haven't been following the
list closely enough to know whether the beaglebone_defconfig needed to
be updated to still use hard float.

> 2. Next, it's failing when trying to get the custom kernel.
>
> Cloning into bare repository
> linux-linux-ti33x-psp-3.2-r5a+gitr09e9651bcf2ee8d86685f2a8075bc6557b1d3b91...
> fatal: early EOF
> fatal: index-pack failed
> --2012-09-07 12:54:37--
> http://sources.buildroot.net//linux-linux-ti33x-psp-3.2-r5a+gitr09e9651bcf2ee8d86685f2a8075bc6557b1d3b91.tar.gz
> Resolving sources.buildroot.net... 176.9.16.109
> Connecting to sources.buildroot.net|176.9.16.109|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> 2012-09-07 12:54:38 ERROR 404: Not Found.
>
> A few months back I could successfully build bone image so obviously
> this kernel issue was not present then.

I remember having an intermittent issue with getting this kernel a
couple months back and then it went away. This might be transient.

Having said this, the Beaglebone guys changed how they manage their
kernel code. Instead of having the whole kernel on GitHub, they now
just store patches. See
https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel/tree/beaglebone-3.2. I haven't
looked into how this would fit into Buildroot, though. Unfortunately,
once we switched processors, I haven't had time to keep this up to
date.