[Buildroot] big root fs

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Tue Sep 11 13:17:54 UTC 2012

>>>>> "Zoran" == Zoran Djordjevic <djdjdjole at yahoo.com> writes:

 Zoran> Hello

 Zoran> I built linux kernel using Buildroot, but included glibc support
 Zoran> instead of uClibc. For that matter I was using Crosstool NG.
 Zoran> I achieved the goal - compiled the GTK applications and they
 Zoran> work on my target ARM board. All of that is by using NFS on my
 Zoran> Ubuntu machine.  However the size of generated jffs2 is 52MB-
 Zoran> which is huge for me.  Although I included GTK examples, and
 Zoran> maybe few more properties I still wander if the size is related
 Zoran> (only) to glibc matter.  I will try building with uClibc (only
 Zoran> to detect difference in size), but at the moment it is important
 Zoran> to me to use glibc, so what else can contribute to overal size
 Zoran> of image, other than (maybe) glibc.  I attatched my .config if
 Zoran> someone want to look at it and maybe find some memory eating
 Zoran> matter. Also, can size of glibc be reduced, by throwing out some
 Zoran> properties.

First of all, a defconfig file (which you create by running 'make
savedefconfig')  is quite a bit easier to read than the very verbose
.config.

Secondly, I see you have both directfb and X11:

BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB=y
BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_TRACE=y
BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_XSERVER=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XORG7=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XSERVER_XORG_SERVER=y

You can most likely drop directfb. SDL is also relatively big. You also
have a number of unneeded X libraries.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard