[Buildroot] Fwd: Re: Basic questions about using BuildRoot

Martin Peevski martin at ronetix.at
Thu Sep 20 06:19:56 UTC 2012

On 19/09/12 01:06, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
> On 09/17/12 12:43, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>> If you're only interested in the rootfs, you could use the original,
>> working u-boot and use the rootfs from buildroot. Have you tried that?

>>> how to do
>
>  Indeed, it is entirely possible to use buildroot to build a rootfs and
> combine it with a pre-built kernel.  There is usually no dependency
> of an executable on a specific kernel version, because the kernel
> ABI is backward-compatible. When you build an internal or
> crosstool-NG toolchain in buildroot, however, do make sure that
> you use kernel headers with a sufficiently low version (smaller than
> or equal to the pre-built kernel you use).
>
>  If you do want to build a custom kernel later on, you need two
> things: the source and the config. Whoever gave you the kernel
> binary is also obliged to give you the source (GPL), so that should
> be doable. The config you can usually get from the running kernel,
> in /proc/config.gz.
>

>  Good luck!
>
>  Regards,
>  Arnout

      Hi again! Thank you for the help. All my attempts to build Linux
with external version of U-boot and Kernel and the rootfs from buildroot
was unsuccessfull. However I get older directory tree and programs and
make rootfs with the Linux command mkfs.jffs2. To that moment it works,
thank for you time and help!