[Buildroot] syslog messages during boot not recorded?

Francesco Montorsi francesco.montorsi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 16:30:28 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I'm using buildroot v10.11 on an embedded system running Linux kernel
2.6.32.2.

I installed some daemons wrote by me which are started at boot time by some
/etc/init.d scripts of mine. These daemons use many syslog() to provide
verbose debugging messages... however, for some reason, when I boot the
system and cat /var/log/messages, I do not see any message.
If I start manually the daemons, the messages are correctly logged to
/var/log/messages...

I think that this problem maybe because syslogd is startd AFTER all
/etc/init.d scripts have been processed.. is that right?

I tried to comment the lines:

null::respawn:/sbin/syslogd -n -m 0
null::respawn:/sbin/klogd -n

contained in /etc/inittab and then to add the S01logging script found in
this patch:
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2011-July/043828.html

but I obtained the same results... (of course my etc scripts start with S90,
S91, etc, so they should run AFTER S01logging...)

Thanks for any hint!
Francesco