[Buildroot] initramfs doesn't get linked into kernel

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sat Apr 27 22:50:58 UTC 2013

>> This worked (it mounted the filesystem) but it doesn't seem to be able to
>> run the init binary (in this case Busybox built by buildroot.)  Looking at
>> tcpdump it correctly follows the symlinks and appears to download the busybox
>> binary, but then fails saying it couldn't find init.
>
> Again, please post your Buildroot .config and kernel .config. Another
> issue you might be having if you're building your kernel outside of
> Buildroot is that you may have enabled the usage of devtmpfs as
> the /dev strategy, but forgot to enable CONFIG_DEVTMPFS and
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT in your kernel configuration. See
> http://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#_dev_management for
> more details.

Sorry, I didn't post them because I didn't think it would be easy to solve -
here they are:

   http://www.shikadi.net/files/buildroot/2013-04-28.br.cannot_run_init.config
   http://www.shikadi.net/files/buildroot/2013-04-28.k.cannot_run_init.config

I don't think it's an issue with /dev as I don't think the kernel gets that
far in the boot process.  I am building the kernel outside of buildroot while
I'm testing (and I can only do OABI here) but I also copied my changes across
and built it through buildroot (so I could enable EABI in the kernel config)
but there was no change.

I'll keep investigating, but let me know if you have any insight!

Many thanks,
Adam.