[Buildroot] List of pending patches: what to do?

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 08:33:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM, Samuel Martin <s.martin49 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thomas, all,
>
> 2013/8/1 Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com>:
>> Dear Samuel Martin,

>>> Both treat the same thing!
>>> A "political decision" has to be made on this since it slightly
>>> changes the way some BR commands work.
>>
>> Can we have a decision on those ones?
>>
>> On my side, I kind of like the fact that 'make blabla-rebuild' both
>> rebuilds the blabla package and regenerates the root filesystem. It
>> avoids the need for 'make blabla-rebuild && make'. However, it's true
>> that it's inconsistent with 'make blabla-dirclean', which just removes
>> the build directory, and therefore requires a 'make blabla-dirclean &&
>> make' if you want to completely rebuild a package from scratch.
>
> IIRC, we talked about this during some BR dev days or patchwork-day
> session, and in the end we kept statu quo.
>
> I'd rather be in favor of these patches, although I barely use the
> *-re{configure,build} targets;
> anyway it's just one opinion among others.

I am currently used to -reconfigure and -rebuild to rebuild also the
rootfs, but I also agree it's inconsistent with the other targets. If
we want to be strict, then foo-reconfigure can only configure, not
build. And foo-rebuild can only build.
Hence, to get the original behavior of:
foo-reconfigure --> foo-reconfigure all
foo-rebuild     --> foo-rebuild all

Is that understanding correct?
As long as we can document this properly, also in the ChangeLog, then
I'm fine with this semantic change. Adding 'all' isn't the end of the
world.