[Buildroot] debugging inittab

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Aug 29 08:31:26 UTC 2013

Dear Arnout Vandecappelle,

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 07:17:57 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

> > That was the problem. Thanks!
>
>   Right. Maybe we should just rename target/ to
> THIS_IS_NOT_YOUR_ROOT_FILESYSTEM instead of just creating the file. The
> latter is obviously not enough.
>
>   What was the reason we didn't do that in the first place?

I personally find it a bit ugly. Moreover, having a file allows to add
contents to explain *why* it is not the root filesystem, while a
directory cannot contain an explanation :)

Since we've added the THIS_IS_NOT_YOUR_ROOT_FILESYSTEM file, this is
the *first* time we have a new report of people using output/target
directly for NFS mounting. At this point, with a file with such a name,
and the contents of the file explaining how to do NFS mounting, I think
there's not much else we can do except pointing users at this file
which documents why what they are doing cannot work.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons