[Buildroot] [buildroot] libevas build failure analysis

Lucas De Marchi lucas.de.marchi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 12:21:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Lionel Orry <lionel.orry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Thomas,
>
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
>> Dear Lionel Orry,
>>
>> On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:45:15 +0100, Lionel Orry wrote:
>>
>>> They just released the 1.8 version, I think it's time to think about
>>> the bump, but there are some quite fundamental changes between 1.7 and
>>> 1.8 (most noticeable one is the merged tree instead of separate source
>>> code for core libraries), and the bump is probably not that easy at
>>> first, and then, I also suppose there are some applications that may
>>> still need 1.7 among buildroot users.
>>
>> Are you sure 1.8 breaks the compatibility with 1.7 ? I don't think so.
>> It's not because in terms of source code everything is now inside a
>> single tarball that the compatibility for applications has been broken.

No, it doesn't break compatibility. If it did it would be called efl 2.x

There's a huge change in the underlying implementation of the object
model with the introduction of EO, but it should be API/ABI compatible
with EFL 1.7.

> That is true, I did not explain clearly the status. But I suppose I
> can then convince you that a LOT of API changes occured by looking at
> the NEWS file: https://git.enlightenment.org/core/efl.git/plain/NEWS?id=v1.8.1

APIs were added. Removals were made in a backward compatible manner.

> Among other things, EFL 1.8 now has a mandatory dependency on bullet
> library, which makes it much less suitable on light embedded systems ;
> for example, I think bullet is not part of buildroot packages yet.

that is not true. You can perfectly pass --disable-physics so the
dependency goes away.

Lucas De Marchi