[Buildroot] genmanual: generates kconfiglib.pyc in Buildroot source tree

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Dec 5 08:00:06 UTC 2013

On 04/12/13 23:52, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Samuel, All,
>
> When one runs 'make manual', python will create:
>      support/scripts/kconfiglib.pyc
> in the Buildroot source tree.
>
> Python will happily run, even if it is not able to generate that file
> (eg. because the source tree is read-only).
>
> However, the file is not cleaned on 'make clean'. I'm a bit reluctant at
> adding it since it would try to remove a file outside of $(O), which
> could break parallel builds in multiple $(O) at the same time... Not
> sure what to do here.
>
> Since we do not really care about speed, would it be possible to tell
> python not to generate it at all?

  I do 'man python', and the first thing I see is

-B     Don't write .py[co] files on import. See also PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE.

  I'd say, go for it! Unfortunately, you can't add it directly in the #!
line of the script because all the arguments are concatenated together.
So I guess the PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE environment variable should be set
when calling the script.

  Regards,
  Arnout